133 S. 25th St.
Pottsville, PA 17901
A Decade of Mac + iOS Experience
I mastered Cocoa/Objective-C almost 10 years ago through passionate self-teaching and experience with a very large and professional open-source project, merely because I loved developing on this platform; Now, with the emergence of iOS, I've been lucky enough to also earn a living with this skill.
My long and extensive experience working on this platform makes for a rich understanding of framework conventions, best practices, memory management, and development tools; I'm passionate about quality and maintainability when it comes to code and application architecture.
I currently work both independently on my own projects and contractually to engineer iOS apps for high-profile clients. I contribute to open-source projects in my free time for fun.
I'm as much a designer as I am a developer, crafting every UI pixel for my work. I'm also fluent in standards-based web design.
My Professional Experience
Independent iPhone, iPad Developer
- Developed and designed Harvest & Repeats.
- Harvest was featured by Apple in nationwide television advertising, on the front page of the App Store, and ranked as high as the #2 paid reference application.
- Harvest's wide user base has never yielded a single crash report.
Freelance, Contract iOS Developer
Camino Web Browser - Leading Developer
(caminobrowser.org) [Practically full time 2005-2009 (Free time basis now)]
- Camino is a very professional open source project with strict code review, source management, bug reporting/workflow, and a large code and user base.
- I designed and developed many highly promoted features for our application.
- Regularly reviewed my peers’ source code.
- Constantly submitted new bug reports.
- Pinpointed and solved several of our most widespread crashing bugs.
- View some of my source code contributions.
Standards-Based Web Designer
Murphy Jewelers - Visual Design, Technology Support
Pottsville and Hamburg, PA [1999-present]
- On the side of my full-time software engineering business, I take care of anything related to technology for my family's multi-store jewelry operation.
- Lead designer of print, billboard, and web advertisements. View my ad portfolio: http://seanmurph.com/advertising-portfolio/.
Schuylkill Women in Crisis - Digital Video Editor
Pottsville, PA [August 2007-present]
- Produced two commercials and two 30+ minute educational videos for a local non-profit organization.
Pottsville Housing Authority - SUMMER CAMP Counselor
Pottsville, PA [june-august, 2004 and 2005]
- Taught underprivileged children various computer skills as part of a summer recreation program.
- Coordinated games and other activities for the kids.
Saint Joseph’s University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
B.S. in Information Systems, 2006.
Pottsville Area High School, Pottsville, Pennsylvania.
College Preparatory Curriculum, 2002.
- Apple Worldwide Developer Conference, 2006.
- C4 Independent Mac Developer Conference, 2007.
- iDev 360 iPhone Developer Conference, 2009.
- Voices the Matter iPhone Developer Conference, 2009.
- I was extremely active on Apple's Cocoa-Dev Mailing List and now occasionally answer questions on StackOverflow.
- Wrote a few technical articles on my website. I'm passionate about writing and have big plans to do more.
- Lead Adobe Photoshop designer on my high school’s nationally recognized and award winning yearbook team.
What I Know Best
- My true strength and passion is developing iPhone, iPad, and Mac OS X applications using Cocoa and Objective-C. I have almost a decade worth of experience with this platform.
- Strict practitioner of Cocoa coding conventions and style.
- Complete comprehension of memory management in Objective-C.
- Use of Xcode with very complex projects (Camino).
- Extensive knowledge of C. and lower-level programming aspects such as machine structure, linking, and loading.
- Object Oriented Design Patterns and how to apply them to Objective-C.
- I'm strong with overall application architecture design, in my opinion one of the least taught and most important aspects of engineering great software.
- I'm an expert at finding and fixing crashing bugs.
- The importance of readable code, by using clear, explicit method and variable names and effective commenting.
- How to design cohesive objects, incorporate abstractions, and rely on encapsulation to isolate and guard against change.
- Daily interaction with version control software. (Git aficionado; familiarity with Mercurial and Subversion.)
- Web standards, including XHTML and CSS.
- I also live in Photoshop and do all of my own design work. I'm as much a designer as I am developer.